- ABOUT US
- PUBLIC PROGRAMS
- BUSINESS PROGRAMS
- SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- NEWS & EVENTS
The Confucius Institute at the University of Melbourne remains operational and the team is working remotely for the foreseeable future. All the language and business programs are currently delivered via Zoom. The textbooks and online course manual will be sent to our registered students.
Term Dates for 2021
|Summer Intensive||January 5 - February 2||26 Jan Australia|
|Term 1||January 25 - April 9||26 Jan Australia Day; 8 Mar Labour Day; 2 Apr Good Friday|
|Term 2||April 19 - June 28||14 Jun Queen's Birthday|
|Term 3||July 12 - September 18|
|Term 4||October 4 - December 14||3 Nov Melbourne Cup|
Please note classes will not run on public holidays but will be rescheduled later in the Term.
Confucius Institute offers a wide range of Mandarin Chinese classes, at all levels, open to the general public. Whether you are learning for work or pleasure, Confucius Institute at the University of Melbourne has a course suitable for you.
2021 Term 2 Enrollments
- Term 2 enrollments are now open. View the timetable.
- Course cost is $409.00 per ten week term (20 hours), and includes GST, textbook and all course materials. A 10% discount is offered to returning Confucius Institute students, University of Melbourne staff, students and alumni.
- Please read our Enrollment Guidelines below before making payment.
Please note that the deadline to register for the language and cultural programs in Term 2 is 12.00pm Tuesday 13th April 2021. This is not a hard deadline, but we encourage students to register early to avoid disappointment. Whilst we look to prioritize our current and long-term students by allowing them to stay with their current teacher and classmates, this is not always possible with late registrations. We constantly receive a large amount of enquiries about our language and cultural programs. Please note that places are limited in class and will be allocated on a first come first served basis through registration. For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9035 8204.
24/7 Online Chinese for Beginners
It is a great way to advance your career and personal goals by studying online Mandarin courses through Confucius Institute at the University of Melbourne. All you need is an internet connection. 24/7 Online Chinese for Beginners allows you to:
- enroll in an online study course at any time throughout the year;
- study anytime, anywhere, at your own pace;
- access to individual tutor support as in private lessons, but with a group class rate;
- network with peers across states or even from different countries.
CI students aged 16-35 are eligible to apply for CI Scholarship for intensive in-country language study programs.
Conversational Language Bootcamp -- Level B
This course is designed to challenge students with one hour guided conversation to strengthen their speaking and listening abilities, twice a week for 10 consecutive weeks.
Day and time: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-2pm
Entry requirements: HSK Level 2, or completing Great Wall Chinese Book 5 or Contemporary Chinese Book 2
For course enquiry and registration, please contact Ms Linlin Lu at email@example.com. Registration fee covers Textbook, Workbook and other teaching material.
There are 6 levels of beginner Chinese available. Students who complete Chinese 1A will:
- have a basic understanding of Chinese language and its structure;
- perform basic greetings and expressions for daily communication;
- acquire a sense of China’s contemporary culture;
- recognize and write up to 100 Chinese characters.
The Institute runs both lower intermediate and upper intermediate courses. Participants are encouraged to converse on a range of current affairs topics, while also improving their vocabulary, grammar and character recognition.
One of the only truly advanced Chinese courses available in Melbourne. Participants have generally spent time living in China and are looking for an opportunity to stretch their Chinese skills.
Private tutoring is also available. For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9035 8204.
- Enrolments are for a 10 week course of lessons (the Institute cannot accept week-by-week payments).
- Students are welcome to attend one trial class to gauge their language level before enrolling (not applicable for absolute beginners courses).
- Payments are requested prior to the commencement of the term; or after the trial lesson for new students. If payments are not received prior to the commencement of the term, please note your place is not guaranteed.
- Class levels are organised based on the number of paid attendees prior to commencement of term. Please note classes may be cancelled if there are not enough registrations prior to the starting date.
- Please note a late fee may apply to all course fees received after the first week of term. Refunds cannot be issued for withdrawals after the commencement of the term.
- Refunds cannot be issued for missed classes. Students can attend another class (where a similar level is available) in the same week; or attend a one-off private tutorial (10-15 minutes) per term to make up on missed content.
- If a teacher is unable to deliver class, a replacement teacher will be organised in advance by the Institute. If, due to exceptional circumstance, a teacher is unable to deliver class, term will be extended by a week.
- Mid-term enrolments will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Thank you for your co-operation and understanding. For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu (details as above).