- ABOUT US
- PUBLIC PROGRAMS
- BUSINESS PROGRAMS
- SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- NEWS & EVENTS
Confucius Institute offers a wide range of Mandarin Chinese classes, at all levels, open to the general public. Whether you are learning for work or pleasure, Confucius Institute at the University of Melbourne has a course suitable for you.
Term Dates for 2019
Term 3: Monday 22 July 22 — Saturday 28 September
Term 4: Monday 7 October — Tuesday 17 December
2019 Term 4 Enrollments
- Term 4 enrollments are now open. View the timetable.
- Course cost is $409.00 per ten week term (20 hours), and includes GST, textbook and all course materials. A 10% discount is offered to returning Confucius Institute Students, University of Melbourne staff, students and alumni.
- Please read our Enrollment Guidelines below before making payment.
Please note that the deadline to register for the language and cultural programs in Term 4 is Tuesday 1st Oct 2019. This is not a hard deadline, but we encourage students to register early to avoid disappointment. Whilst we look to prioritize our current and long-term students by allowing them to stay with their current teacher and classmates this is not always possible with late registrations. We constantly receive a large amount of enquiries about our language and cultural programs. Please note that places are limited in class and will be allocated on a first come first served basis through registration.
For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9035 8204.
There are 6 levels of beginner Chinese available. Students who complete Chinese 1A will:
- have a basic understanding of Chinese language and its structure;
- perform basic greetings and expressions for daily communication;
- acquire a sense of China’s contemporary culture;
- recognize and write up to 100 Chinese characters.
The Institute runs both lower intermediate and upper intermediate courses. Participants are encouraged to converse on a range of current affairs topics, while also improving their vocabulary, grammar and character recognition.
One of the only truly advanced Chinese courses available in Melbourne. Participants have generally spent time living in China and are looking for an opportunity to stretch their Chinese skills.
Private tutoring is also available. For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu at email@example.com or call 9035 8204.
- Enrolments are for a 10 week course of lessons (the Institute cannot accept week-by-week payments).
- Students are welcome to attend one trial class to gauge their language level before enrolling (not applicable for absolute beginners courses).
- Payments are requested prior to the commencement of the term; or after the trial lesson for new students. If payments are not received prior to the commencement of the term please note your place is not guaranteed.
- Class levels are organised based on the number of paid attendees prior to commencement of term. Please note classes may be cancelled if there are not enough registrations prior to the starting date.
- Please note a late fee may apply to all course fees received after the first week of term. Refunds cannot be issued for withdrawals after the commencement of the term.
- Refunds cannot be issued for missed classes. Students can attend another class (where a similar level is available) in the same week; or attend a one-off private tutorial (10-15 minutes) per term to make up on missed content.
- If a teacher is unable to deliver class, a replacement teacher will be organised in advance by the Institute. If, due to exceptional circumstance, a teacher is unable to deliver class, term will be extended by a week.
- Mid-term enrolments will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Thank you for your co-operation and understanding. For further information, please contact Ms Linlin Lu (details as above).